Romney Testifies

Should we simply reject a presidential candidate based upon his religion?

Republican presidential hopeful, Mitt Romney, has been defending his Mormon beliefs ever since he announced his candidacy. I understand that a certain level of fear ensues when first confronted with something unfamiliar. This is probably the reason why Herman Cain’s activities as a minister of the Antioch Baptist Church do not meet the conditions for interrogation. So, are we to place less legitimacy on the Mormon faith because it’s not part of the American norm?

I must admit that I know very little about Mormonism. My knowledge is limited to the misconception that Mormons generally live somewhere in Utah, dress in Amish clothing, inbreed, and practice polygamy. I later discovered that those are usually Mormon fundamentalists. In reality, we have elected 15 Mormons into Congress, including our Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid. So, what’s the public so afraid of?

The quick and handy Wikipedia defines Mormonism as a “the predominant religious tradition of the Latter Day Saint movement” and the fourth largest denomination in America. More or less, it is a form of Christian primitivism that uses and follows the teachings of the Bible, the Book of Mormon – which ironically is also a hit Broadway production – and the Doctrine and Covenants, among other texts. Does that sound so terrible?

It is true that Mormonism, like most Republicans, is conservative on matters of family life, but it also emphasizes individual agency. How they apply these ideas in the public arena is up to the individual candidate, who is ultimately responsible to uphold the US Constitution as a public leader to its citizens, not to the church hierarchy.

Let me remind us all of Article VI , paragraph 3 of the U.S Constitution: “no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.” Just as we don’t vote for a candidate based upon his favorite color, why should his particular faith influence our decision? Also, don’t all candidates adhere to general beliefs, whether they be religious or not, that may influence their decisions?

Like Vice President Biden, I find it preposterous that Romney’s faith is undergoing such fierce questioning. Similar to a speech that John F Kennedy delivered during his 1960 campaign, Mitt Romney felt the need to address his much debated faith: “Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions.”

He may not win the support of evangelical voters at first, but when it comes down to Obama vs. Romney, I bet those right-wingers will flock to their Mormon representative. It’s time for conservatives to get comfortable with the idea that an American, who promises to uphold the law and the Constitution, may represent the GOP – he just also happens to be a Mormon.